Sunday, August 4, 2013

Zazzle Decides We Are Offending Ourselves--Guest Post by Melanie Yergeau

I made some button templates on zazzle because I do not have access to a button machine. (When I lived in Ohio, I was able to make buttons at the student union.) One of the buttons said "neuro queer" with a little rainbow mobius strip superimposed in the middle of the button. I also made a couple "autistic pride" buttons. I ordered a few (to give to some of you as I see you at conferences), but just now received an email from zazzle saying they cancelled my entire order and deleted the buttons because they found them offensive and discriminatory. 



Above is a photo of the offending button. Zazzle.com cancelled the order for the following reason: "Design contains content that can reasonably be viewed as discriminatory based upon race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, or disability."

I'm feeling really sighful right now. 

--Melanie Yergeau, first on Facebook

14 comments:

  1. This makes me laugh because I thought I was writing historically about how in the eighties it was terribly shocking to say "queer..." Way to tell us what to call ourselves, Zazzle. Did you want us to say People With NeuroQueerness?

    Should we see if Cafe Press is equally 198...4? Hey, Orwellian! There's a word for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totes talk about how this is Orwellian. You know there is the 1984 stuff going on with Michael, Anonymous Newtown Autistic, and me. You should totes get in on it. ;)

      Delete
  2. In other news, LOVE LOVE LOVE the button design. WANT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would wear the hell out of that button!

      Delete
    2. I would wear the hell out of that button!

      Delete
  3. i love that button. automated net nannies are annoying. people are seriously annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teddy's Ts is a disabled-run business and very queer friendly. www.teddyts.com They are cheap, make high quality stuff, have two sizes of buttons. Check them out. Susan Fitzmaurice, co-owner, is on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teddy's Ts! Perfect! Didn't know they did custom! Thanks Corbett!! I got some *awesome* stuff from them!!!! Buh bye, Zazzle.

      Delete
  5. DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP. WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM  

    I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Na jaren van pijn en verdriet kwam DR WALE mij te hulp. Ik was getrouwd met de liefde van mijn leven en samen hebben we drie kinderen. Aanvankelijk leefden we vredig als gezin, zonder problemen. Maar na verloop van tijd kregen mijn man en ik ernstige ruzies. De ruzies liepen uit de hand en mijn man wilde bij me weggaan; hij wilde scheiden. Ik moest toezien hoe mijn man een affaire begon met onze verkoopmedewerkster. Hij begon mij en de kinderen slecht te behandelen. Ik vertelde een vriendin over zijn gedrag tegenover ons, en zij wees me op DR WALE, omdat ik een oplossing moest vinden voordat de situatie volledig uit de hand zou lopen. Toen ik contact opnam met DR WALE, deed hij een snelle analyse en ontdekte dat de verkoopmedewerkster achter alles zat wat er gebeurde. Ik vroeg DR WALE wat er moest gebeuren. Hij vertelde me dat er een spirituele reiniging nodig was om mijn man de ogen te openen, en ook een spreuk. Ik betaalde voor alles en de rest is geschiedenis. DR WALE heeft iets geweldigs voor me gedaan. Mijn man zag de situatie weer helder in en smeekte mij en de kinderen om vergeving. Vandaag de dag leven we weer samen als één groot gezin. DR WALE, bedankt voor alles. ALS U PROBLEMEN HEEFT IN UW HUWELIJK, RELATIE OF MET DE LOTERIJ, IS DR WALE DE AANGEWEZEN PERSOON OM CONTACT MEE OP TE NEMEN. Neem contact met hem op via WhatsApp of Viber: +2347054019402 of e-mail: drwalespellhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ik wil graag dat jullie met mij meevieren en stilstaan ​​bij het geweldige wonder dat DR REETHESH voor mij heeft verricht. Mijn vrouw, die me vijf maanden geleden had verlaten, is weer thuis. Toen ze vertrok, zei ze recht in mijn gezicht dat ze nooit meer zou terugkomen. Ze zei dat ze niet langer in mij geïnteresseerd was. Maar nu is ze weer bij me, nadat ik contact had opgenomen met DR REETHESH, die dit wonder voor mij heeft verricht. Ik kwam in contact met DR REETHESH via een klasgenoot die moeite had om de juiste partner te vinden. Hij vertelde dat DR REETHESH hem had geholpen de juiste keuze te maken en de juiste partner te vinden. Hij vertelde me ook dat het huwelijk van zijn neef op de klippen dreigde te lopen. Zijn neef en diens vrouw hadden voortdurend ruzie en hun huwelijk stond op instorten; ze overwogen allebei een scheiding. Uiteindelijk was het DR REETHESH die alles voor hen oploste. Hij vertelde dat DR REETHESH ontdekte dat iemand die een hekel had aan zijn neef, achter alle problemen in het huwelijk zat. Ook ik ben dankbaar dat DR REETHESH mijn huwelijk heeft gered. Als je hulp nodig hebt, kun je contact opnemen via WhatsApp: +2349012999010 of e-mail: reethesh60@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never imagined my life could change so fast. I struggling with some unpaid bills and financial stress for years, and I was constantly wondering how people are able to win the lottery so big because I sometimes play the lottery but never won any big amount, I sought spiritual guidance from DR WALE after I heard about him, how he has been helping people with the lottery winning numbers, and not long afterwards I won the $19,000,000 MILLION Lotto 6/49 Gold Ball jackpot with the numbers he gave me. That incredible win completely transformed my life. I was able to pay off all my debts, purchase a brand-new truck, and make sure my children had everything they needed to pursue their dreams. I also chose to share my good fortune by supporting local charities and helping families in need, because I know what it's like to struggle. I'm sharing this to remind whosoever seeing this that hope can inspire people to keep believing, even during difficult times. Are you also having issues in your marriage if yes contact DR WALE he's the best in brining EX - Lovers back together. he will help you out. WhatsApp OR Telegram: +2347054019402 Email: drwalespellhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thank you for everything you have done for me. You brought back my happiness and made my life to be more better. You showed me that you are the best in helping Ex-Lovers to come back together. Today I'm happy and grateful that you made me and my man to come back together and we're both happy with ourselves. Thank you so much DR REETHESH. For you reading this if you need DR REETHESH help you can contact him Via WhatsApp: +2349012999010 or Email: reethesh60@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete