Thursday, March 3, 2016

Countdown to Spoon Knife: from "My Mother GLaDOS"

This month, Autonomous Press releases three new titles, including the first volume of The Spoon Knife Anthology.

Pre-orders are now open online, but if you'd like to get a sneak peek at Spoon Knife before you order, stay tuned.  We'll be running excerpts from works in the anthology from now until the release date.

Today's excerpt is from "My Mother GLaDOS," by Dani Alexis Ryskamp.

You, SUBJECT NAME HERE, Must Be the Pride of SUBJECT HOMETOWN HERE

You come from a long line of people who really loved cake.

“Cake,” of course, is a euphemism for sex.  Straight sex.  The kind of sex that is always implied, never stated; the kind of sex one assumes happens in marriages but tastefully omits to mention.  Good-girl sex.  Lie back and think of England, where cake is served alongside afternoon tea.

In 1690, your great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather, Harold Kennedy, disowns your great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather, Harold Kennedy, depriving the latter of several thousand acres of southwest Ohio in addition to the usual emotional connections one associates with family.  Three hundred years later, the remaining records only mention that the disowning had to do with Harold Junior’s conversion from Presbyterianism to Methodism.  You’re in graduate school before you learn that “Methodism” is a euphemism for “enjoying too much cake with the wrong people.” 

It might even be a euphemism for “enjoying cake with your own team,” as it were.  You can’t tell.  The familial euphemisms for non-bakery-approved relationships are even more dense and confusing than the euphemisms for vanilla cake.

In 1901 or thereabouts, your great-great-grandmother’s sister, “Aunt Marie,” scandalizes the society pages of the Urbana, Ohio newspaper by declining to have her impending marriage memorialized in them.  Instead, she runs away to Florida for her nuptials.  Ninety years later, your great-grandmother is still heavily implying that Aunt Marie ate her cake and had it too. 

How many Methodist bakeries are there in Florida?  The sketchy end to which Aunt Marie came is repeated, technicians inform you, by your great-aunt, whose decades-long friendship with the first openly gay mayor of Key West may or may not have involved cake.  If the family knows, nobody will discuss it.  “That has nothing to do with us,” your aunt announces staunchly at her funeral.  Of course it doesn’t.  Still, when he is cremated, half his ashes go to his artist partner in Florida; the other half live in your great-aunt’s house, caked in the bottom of a glass tumbler.

“I knew this bisexual thing was just a phase,” your mother says in 2005 or thereabouts.  She’s not referring to the six months you’ve spent attending Methodist college youth meetings – she doesn’t know about those.  No one does.  That has nothing to do with us.  Your mother is talking about your cousin, whose actual bona fide relationships with women were followed by an actual bona fide relationship with a man, whom she married.

Your mother’s voice oozes scorn.  You decide not to mention the Methodist youth group.  Your gaze drops to the cake lying on your plate, half-eaten.

Only after you’ve been safely married off to a straight man do you start to suspect that the cake is a lie.

5 comments:

  1. I never believed in Spells or Magics until I met this great spell caster called DR ONIHA.. The man i wanted to marry left me 3 months to our wedding ceremony and my life was upside down. He was with me for 4 years and i really love him so much..he left me for another woman with no reasons..when i called him, he never picked up my calls and he don't want to see me around him I was helpless and don't know what do do to get the man i love back my life. I went online in search of help and i find DR ONIHA website i have to contact him. So when i told DR ONIHA what happened. he helped me to do some readings,and after the readings he made me to realize that the other woman has done some spells over my boyfriend and that is the reason why he left me..he told me he will help me to cast a spell to bring him back. At first i was skeptical but i just gave it a try. In 4 days later after which the spell was done by DR ONIHA, My boyfriend called me himself and came to me apologizing..I cant believe he can ever come back to me again but now i am happy he's back and we are married now and we live as a happy family..Am posting this to the forum if anyone needs the help of this great man, you can also contact him through this. 
    Email: ONIHASPELLTEMPLE@GMAIL.COM  
    Website: http://onihaspelltemple.com.
    Call/Whatsapp number: + 16692213962 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to thank Dr Emu a very powerful spell caster who help me to bring my husband back to me, few month ago i have a serious problem with my husband, to the extend that he left the house, and he started dating another woman and he stayed with the woman, i tried all i can to bring him back, but all my effort was useless until the day my friend came to my house and i told her every thing that had happened between me and my husband, then she told me of a powerful spell caster who help her when she was in the same problem I then contact Dr Emu and told him every thing and he told me not to worry my self again that my husband will come back to me after he has cast a spell on him, i thought it was a joke, after he had finish casting the spell, he told me that he had just finish casting the spell, to my greatest surprise within 48 hours, my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with via email: Emutemple@gmail.com or add him up on his whatsapp +2347012841542 is willing to help any body that need his help. 

      Delete
  2. I never believed in Spells or Magics until I met this great spell caster called DR ONIHA.. The man i wanted to marry left me 3 months to our wedding ceremony and my life was upside down. He was with me for 4 years and i really love him so much..he left me for another woman with no reasons..when i called him, he never picked up my calls and he don't want to see me around him I was helpless and don't know what do do to get the man i love back my life. I went online in search of help and i find DR ONIHA website i have to contact him. So when i told DR ONIHA what happened. he helped me to do some readings,and after the readings he made me to realize that the other woman has done some spells over my boyfriend and that is the reason why he left me..he told me he will help me to cast a spell to bring him back. At first i was skeptical but i just gave it a try. In 4 days later after which the spell was done by DR ONIHA, My boyfriend called me himself and came to me apologizing..I cant believe he can ever come back to me again but now i am happy he's back and we are married now and we live as a happy family..Am posting this to the forum if anyone needs the help of this great man, you can also contact him through this. 
    Email: ONIHASPELLTEMPLE@GMAIL.COM  
    Website: http://onihaspelltemple.com.
    Call/Whatsapp number: + 16692213962 

    ReplyDelete
  3. DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP. WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM  

    I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete