Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Behaviorism Everywhere, by Ib Grace


(content: graphically physical language)


Behaviorism Everywhere


Muscles taut and trembling;
Guts churning in
Sweat drenched innards,  
Mixing with blood
From secret lacerations
Of a million mental pains
I do not know how to cry out—
But it’s nothing to you
Because I am “nice.”

The medical masters say
Behavior is everything:
I am only what they observe.
A to B to C—
There’s nothing to see here
Move along—
Agency and self are illusory
If they are disabled.

You know this is wrong
Yet apply the same
Standards to me:
I do not cut so must not bleed.
I am not cruel so must not feel.
The least I could do
Is tell you all my business.

Oppressor and oppressed
Confessor and depressed
Stop stressing. See:
Pressed from all sides
I now declare I care
With raring equanimity.
All y’all can take a knee,
Kiss my stoic kindhearted ass
Equally. You choose for you
And I for me.

I am in here.


-Ib Grace


(Thanks to Mark Utter for that last line.)


[This visual is a PowerPoint slide by Lili, labeled "The Most Fundamental Law of Behavior is that CONSEQUENCES DRIVE BEHAVIOR." The heading states: "LEARNING THEORY: OPERANT CONDITIONING." Below this, there are three columns. A stands for 'antecedent', B for 'behavior' and C for 'consequence'. The C and the A have arrows pointing to the B. Underneath the behavior is a small dog, labeled "BOOGIE'S BEHAVIOR". Underneath the consequences header you have "how the behavior works (or doesn't work for Boogie). "good stuff happens; increased behavior, Bad stuff happens, decreased behavior," etc. Underneath the antecedents you have pictures identifying cues, commands, environment, etc. such as "mom calling" and "click and treat" and so on.]



4 comments:

  1. Cheering and crying. Both at the same time. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP. WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM  

    I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete