Thursday, August 8, 2013

neuro-queer, or, how the birth of the clinic met my dangerous desires - by Elizabeth Hassler


Like my best crip friends
I love wordplay, and here
I am playing; tumbling the
new queer thoughts
around my head until
they get smooth
and reflective of my body---
neuro-queer. I worry
my flesh intrudes on your discourse
(my body is many things,
but it is not autistic
---of course, I remember
when autism felt like a threat
and a warning not to stim).
My body arches, grasps desires unevenly and
without finesse,
drives electric wheelchairs
into doorways. It writes poems because
line / breaks make queer ideas fit together,
not all queer ideas all together of course
but certainly mine. Nothing
about my flesh is linear.
Here are meditations on the form
(Ibby has been kind and encouraged
my disagreements
and my coy shield):

my queerness is in lower-case,
and I came to it easily
once I stopped tasting my experience in rights-based alphabet soup.
I fled
toward radical corners,
toward people who didn't tell tell tell me
my body was too wrong.
The wrong kind of disabled: no,
I can't prove I'm good enough
and clean enough
to be an inspiration.
The wrong kind
of queer
because ditto.
[Here is the part
of the essay that is a poem
that is an essay where
all the thoughts happened all together and I got
stuck in the writing.] Growing up,
disability meant Easters Seals camp
and wheelchair basketball [badly] and riding the short bus [but never
the “Shortbus,” kids!] and
never saying the word can't.
The only depressive crip I knew
was a woman
who had acquired her disability jumping
out of a fourth-story window in winter
decades earlier. When I was fifteen
she relayed her romantic frustrations and
attempted to sell me on disabled lesbian sisterhood
---but then,
I've never been a lesbian.
One of my childhood friends with lesbian parents
went crazy in her teens:
her mothers visited
to catch up and tell the story of her psychosis,
how she lived in a locked facility in a midwestern state.
They didn't expect me to know what Seroquel was.
Afterward, one of her mothers
(the one with the beach hat and the
masculine features) whispered to me conspiratorially
about sometimes liking men.
I never wrote her letters in lock-up
or saw those women again.

I grew up with disability
and craziness
separated by an ocean
of discourse about bodies:
wheelchair users are strong and independent
and wear superhero capes.
For a few years of high school,
my best school friend was a “biffer” jock
who goaded me into good moods
[don't try this with suicidal teenagers at home].
One time a therapist tried to convince me
I resented my wheelchair, but
I've never wanted to walk.
I wanted an etiology
for my body,
reasons household noises drove me to tears while
happiness felt so hard to grab hold of
and no less dangerous.
I brought Ordinary People into
my first therapist's waiting room.
I read blogs written by parents of disabled kids
to convince myself I wasn't a terrible daughter
and to find a language for my body
(autistic bodies
seemed a lot like mine).
I failed classes in school
while depressed friends kept me alive.

I never pretended I had
a nondisabled body., online
or in my head. But I knew
the disability rights community was never mine---
I still won't read
books of disability history that insist WE
on their covers. I never
made sense of my life
in cultural nationalisms,
and so I shy away from Queer.
But I am queer, nonetheless, even though our movement politics
are so white and so middle-class and
imagined so exclusively on dance floors
and crowded meeting rooms that I
sometimes flee in fits of overstimulation
[critiques the white girl whose parents are lawyers].
And I am, of course, disabled.
Crazy (which some people who call themselves queer
have told me not to reclaim)
seems less distant from disability now.
[Still, my poor mother---
every girl her age read Karen,
but there's no moralist classic about
raising a bipolar daughter.]
And this never was
independent living.

When The Advocate publishes op-eds about
obstacles lesbians with disabilities must overcome,
I wish this was a different revolution.
Of course, I'm not a liberal
or a lesbian,
but I want revolution more than progress
and I crave community with lesbians
who don't conflate trans* lives with child abuse
or delusion
and tell me to want different things in bed.
[Dear reader, the Sex
Wars never ended.]  I want to be a radical
before the patriarchy ends.
My body keeps
disability and desire all stitched together
in my disabled skin
---I've told rooms full of people
how my needs and my wants never separate themselves.
How many DSM entries does a girl need
before she's neuro-queer?
In my life queer is a verb,
and it means queer acts:
mine happen without candor or privacy,
and I have a body in plain sight.
There are silences here,
and if this were an academic paper
this would be the Spivak citation (I don't dance but I
read academic theory,  and when I am a sub
-altern I do not speak). My neuro-queer
is in the silences, in the coy,
in coastal metaphors, in the third person,
in building her a life
and tides of disabled pleasures.
Ashley X
has cerebral palsy too;
my queer girl-girl-grrrrrlhood
remembers discursive gaps.
Some days there is no womanhood here,
but that feels right to my mouth.
I am neuro-queer, and neuro-femme:
cologne smells like a phantom boyfriend's clothes.
I still hold shame
about the boyfriend from a year ago,
not hir behavior but how I nearly got sucked in
because I thought that was the right discourse for femmes and I
thought we had equivalent needs.
I'm glad, now,
that there are other tricks
to feeling like a girl.
I didn't value my desires
as conduits for revolution, not even when
I could tell the story

of not doing that again.
The structure of my needs
has always shaped the shames
and the resistance of my body; no,
I won't please stand. I won't
pretend the shames fade, either,
not today not for this poem.
I feel the shame intensely,
hence a sweet release
of this stiff form:
I am a crazy crippled girl
with desires,
and I am learning
to access intimacy and that neuro-queer
has so much potential for joy.
My body needs a here and now
[an abject here and now]
more than a future,
and neuro-queer's remembering
the things our bodies need.

--Elizabeth Hassler

8 comments:

  1. WOW! Elizabeth, your poem blows through me like a cooling breeze on a warm summer day. You bring insight and humor and joy and truth. Thank you for this amazing gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corbett, I was actually especially hoping for your feedback! So yay! <3 (I'm not sure why it's saying I'm anonymous; it's Elizabeth Hassler, who wrote the thing and feels nervous about her work.)

      Delete
  2. Elizabeth - thank you. I'm going to need to read this several times over. I don't understand and I do understand and I don't need to understand. And I absolutely loved this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Na jaren van pijn en verdriet kwam DR WALE mij te hulp. Ik was getrouwd met de liefde van mijn leven en samen hebben we drie kinderen. Aanvankelijk leefden we vredig als gezin, zonder problemen. Maar na verloop van tijd kregen mijn man en ik ernstige ruzies. De ruzies liepen uit de hand en mijn man wilde bij me weggaan; hij wilde scheiden. Ik moest toezien hoe mijn man een affaire begon met onze verkoopmedewerkster. Hij begon mij en de kinderen slecht te behandelen. Ik vertelde een vriendin over zijn gedrag tegenover ons, en zij wees me op DR WALE, omdat ik een oplossing moest vinden voordat de situatie volledig uit de hand zou lopen. Toen ik contact opnam met DR WALE, deed hij een snelle analyse en ontdekte dat de verkoopmedewerkster achter alles zat wat er gebeurde. Ik vroeg DR WALE wat er moest gebeuren. Hij vertelde me dat er een spirituele reiniging nodig was om mijn man de ogen te openen, en ook een spreuk. Ik betaalde voor alles en de rest is geschiedenis. DR WALE heeft iets geweldigs voor me gedaan. Mijn man zag de situatie weer helder in en smeekte mij en de kinderen om vergeving. Vandaag de dag leven we weer samen als één groot gezin. DR WALE, bedankt voor alles. ALS U PROBLEMEN HEEFT IN UW HUWELIJK, RELATIE OF MET DE LOTERIJ, IS DR WALE DE AANGEWEZEN PERSOON OM CONTACT MEE OP TE NEMEN. Neem contact met hem op via WhatsApp of Viber: +2347054019402 of e-mail: drwalespellhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ik wil graag dat jullie met mij meevieren en stilstaan ​​bij het geweldige wonder dat DR REETHESH voor mij heeft verricht. Mijn vrouw, die me vijf maanden geleden had verlaten, is weer thuis. Toen ze vertrok, zei ze recht in mijn gezicht dat ze nooit meer zou terugkomen. Ze zei dat ze niet langer in mij geïnteresseerd was. Maar nu is ze weer bij me, nadat ik contact had opgenomen met DR REETHESH, die dit wonder voor mij heeft verricht. Ik kwam in contact met DR REETHESH via een klasgenoot die moeite had om de juiste partner te vinden. Hij vertelde dat DR REETHESH hem had geholpen de juiste keuze te maken en de juiste partner te vinden. Hij vertelde me ook dat het huwelijk van zijn neef op de klippen dreigde te lopen. Zijn neef en diens vrouw hadden voortdurend ruzie en hun huwelijk stond op instorten; ze overwogen allebei een scheiding. Uiteindelijk was het DR REETHESH die alles voor hen oploste. Hij vertelde dat DR REETHESH ontdekte dat iemand die een hekel had aan zijn neef, achter alle problemen in het huwelijk zat. Ook ik ben dankbaar dat DR REETHESH mijn huwelijk heeft gered. Als je hulp nodig hebt, kun je contact opnemen via WhatsApp: +2349012999010 of e-mail: reethesh60@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never imagined my life could change so fast. I struggling with some unpaid bills and financial stress for years, and I was constantly wondering how people are able to win the lottery so big because I sometimes play the lottery but never won any big amount, I sought spiritual guidance from DR WALE after I heard about him, how he has been helping people with the lottery winning numbers, and not long afterwards I won the $19,000,000 MILLION Lotto 6/49 Gold Ball jackpot with the numbers he gave me. That incredible win completely transformed my life. I was able to pay off all my debts, purchase a brand-new truck, and make sure my children had everything they needed to pursue their dreams. I also chose to share my good fortune by supporting local charities and helping families in need, because I know what it's like to struggle. I'm sharing this to remind whosoever seeing this that hope can inspire people to keep believing, even during difficult times. Are you also having issues in your marriage if yes contact DR WALE he's the best in brining EX - Lovers back together. he will help you out. WhatsApp OR Telegram: +2347054019402 Email: drwalespellhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thank you for everything you have done for me. You brought back my happiness and made my life to be more better. You showed me that you are the best in helping Ex-Lovers to come back together. Today I'm happy and grateful that you made me and my man to come back together and we're both happy with ourselves. Thank you so much DR REETHESH. For you reading this if you need DR REETHESH help you can contact him Via WhatsApp: +2349012999010 or Email: reethesh60@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete